It was a privilege to participate in the first ever United Nations Prayer Summit, organized by the International Prayer Council and World Vision International in association with New York City churches and prayer networks. Held 8-13 September 2007, there were about two hundred delegates from over fifty nations. Some of the main points of the summit were:
- Praying for the United Nations and its representatives
- Praying for United Nations ambassadors. About twenty-five of them were present and shared their needs. We prayed for each of them individually.
- Praying for the United Nations millennium goals:
1. Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
2. Achieve universal primary education
3. Promote gender equality
4. Reduce child mortality
5. Improve maternal health
6. Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
7. Ensure environmental sustainability
8. Develop global partnership for development
- Taking a prayer cruise around New York
- Doing a prayer walk at Ground Zero, where the terrorist attacks occurred on 11 September 2001
We thank God for the work he is doing within the United Nations and for the group of United Nations staff that meets regularly to intercede and pray.